This has been my recipe since 2011. In fact, the photos I used were taken on August 14th 2011, almost five freaking years ago (the latest photos I took from Christmas of 2015 were deleted nonchalantly by yours truly, thinking I sent them on GMail for proper filing but nein, no sign whatsoever that I did forward those damn photos).
This is a fool proof recipe as approved by my:
- Former colleagues at a global hotel chain.
- Former colleagues at an American healthcare provider.
- Family (with an uncle who does not eat potato salad unless it is that freaking good).
Also, this is shameless tagging. Best potato salad ever. Endearing, music to my ears, triumph to my taste buds. Hell yes, it’s true.
A colleague even told me it’s good it’s orgasmic.
- Potatoes* – peeled, cut into cubes.
- Bacon – lots of bacon.
- Real Mayonnaise
- Salt, pepper, sugar
- Cheese – sliced (into cubes) or grated, your call. Hint hint: I dig the cubes.
- Lemon juice + lemon rind
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – for the final drizzle of spectacle
- Spring onion (garnish)
- Bring the potato to a boil, make sure it is soft enough to be eaten but resistant enough to endure the mixing (of ingredients).
- Cut the bacon into small bits (maybe an inch will do) and fry it until crisp. Spare some of the oil used to fry the bacon.
- In a large bowl mix everything in: potato, bacon, some of the bacon oil, shallot, cheese and of course, mayonnaise (be perfectly generous).
- Adjust the taste by adding salt, pepper, sugar and of course, lemon juice for acidity (lemon rind for an extra something too). Oh, by the way, do not forget to drizzle EVOO!
- Once adjusted to your liking you are ready to garnish it with spring onion and lemon rind (green and yellow awww!).
- Chill. Serve cold.
Simple ingredients. Simple processes. Not so simple result (and I kid you not). Even a grade 10 student can nail this. It’s straightforward yummy.
*for color, you may add a few slices of beetroot.
~Photo taken using my now missing Olympus point and shoot digital camera.